My Weekend: a little work, a little play

How was your weekend?

Mine was busy and fun!

On Friday, I had a fun evening with friends (& fajitas & skinny margaritas…& a bit of red wine). Saturday morning, I woke up bright and early to get in my workout before meeting clients. (Realtors work weekends pretty consistently, so I have to be very intentional about planning work around workouts and vice versa.) As I was walking through my neighborhood to meet my workout buddy Kathryn, it had just begun to rain, so we decided on an indoor workout. Yay for friends with home gyms! *I do have a gym membership, but we had A LOT more fun at Kathryn’s than we would have had at the gym! Sorry Jay (Kathryn’s fiance) for the music we blasted and for my screams during the seemingly-never-ending wall sit at the end of the workout.*

I did a 30 minute interval workout on the treadmill, for a total of 1.91 miles. The last 2.5 minutes were done at an incline of 10, hands-free. — It was another of one those, “I am pretty sure I’m going to die right here and right now” moments. But I didn’t. So it became one of those, “I love pushing past mental barriers, and I love the fact that my body is SO MUCH stronger and capable of SO MUCH more than I can imagine” moments. My workout buddy Kathryn is pretty awesome because she pushes me much harder than I would ever push myself. I may yell and scream mean things at her in those moments, but if it weren’t for her, I wouldn’t have figured out that my limits were, in fact, only self-imposed.

After the treadmill workout, we did an arm workout with resistance bands, then some ab work and ended up with squats.

When I got home, I didn’t have time to cook breakfast, so I made a quick protein shake in my handy dandy blender bottle.


I use GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein Powder. Chocolate is my favorite! This is also one of my favorite mid-afternoon snacks, before an evening workout. It never fails to give me the extra energy boost that I need for a really great, tough workout.

Lunch on Saturday was a Tender Grill Chicken salad from Burger King (less than 350 cals).

I was literally running out of time and had to get something quickly. Drive thrus are one of the biggest challenges for me. In college, I was a music major and had a pretty hectic class/rehearsal schedule, so I rarely cooked meals for myself. I started an awful fast food habit then, and it has continued over the years. Being on-the-go so much with my current job makes this even more of a struggle for me. So making a healthy choice at the drive-thru on Saturday was a small victory for me, and on this journey, it’s the small victories that add up to huge successes.

After I showed several houses to my clients Saturday afternoon, I headed to visit my family (parents, sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew), who live a little over an hour away. I had dinner with my parents at Chuy’s. I neglected to take a picture of my absolutely heavenly “dot.” (A frozen lime margarita, with a “dot” of strawberry through the center!)

My dad and I split combination fajitas. Mom insisted on getting nachos, so thanks, dad, for splitting πŸ™‚

After dinner on Saturday, I decided that I am giving up frozen margaritas for an indefinite period of time. I am not giving up alcohol entirely, but the calories in a frozen margarita are not worth it to me at this point in my weight loss journey. And that tequila sends any shred of ability to make healthy choices right out the window.

On Saturday night, I got to see my precious two-year-old niece, Micah. She is a sweet little fireball, and I love her more than words. Her new favorite thing to do is to “rap” her ABCs. She ends with, “Next time won’t you rap with me?” It is pretty much the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

Mimi & Micah

I spent Saturday night at my sister and brother-in-law’s house. They also have a handsome, 5-month-old baby boy who is a heart-breaker. No pictures of the sweet little man in this post, but there will be PLENTY to come. My sister and I are training for a 5K in March, so we worked out together (week 3, day 3 of the Couch to 5K running plan) on Sunday morning. We took Micah with us, and she was a great cheerleader for her LeeLee (her name for me…precious, huh???).

Breakfast was Mimi’s “special oatmeal,” which she makes for Micah.

old-fashioned oats with apples & a bit of brown sugar

Lunch was a turkey wrap with clementines.

Dinner was a turkey/ham/avocado sandwich.

After dinner with my sister’s sweet family, I headed back to Houston. Saying goodbye to this little fashionista is never easy.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s